|Volume 10, Number 6, June 2014
IntelliConnect enhancements for emailing, Tax News alerts, and Tax Quick Answers
We’re happy to announce some new enhancements to enrich your IntelliConnect research experience:
- Change the order of items when emailing—You can now customize the arrangement of items before emailing, either as links or attached PDF, by clicking “Change documents order.” Then simply move items up or down, or click the “Alpha Sort” command to change display order.
- Receive email alerts when Tax Journals are posted online—Set up automatic Tracker searches for Tax journals such as TAXES-The Tax Magazine, Journal of Passthrough Entities, Journal of Taxation of Financial Products, Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure, Journal of State Taxation, Estate Planning Review—The Journal, and International Tax Journal. You’ll be notified when a new issue is available within IntelliConnect. Click “Tracker News” and either:
- “Click here to configure Trackers” (if you have not yet created any Trackers)
- “Add/Modify Trackers” (if you have already created Tracker searches)
- Obtain a “Quick Answer” for 2,000+ tax queries—Conduct a search for a tax term and receive a “Quick Answer” above your search results containing information such as specific rates or values (with applicable dates), very short explanation, and/or a direct link to specific tool(s) or content within your subscription. To view a “Quick Answer,” try searching for one of these Tax terms: 179 deduction; bonus depreciation; dependent exemption; earned income credit; home office deduction; nol; research credit; sale of business
Completely updated new edition: Law, Explanation and Analysis of the Affordable Care Act, 2014 Update
As health care reform continues to take effect, attorneys in health, benefits, employment law and tax as well as in-house counsel, human resources and health care professionals will need a place to turn for reliable explanations that they know are right, right now. Completely updated, Law, Explanation and Analysis of the Affordable Care Act, 2014 Update delivers clear, credible analysis for:
- Enhanced employer responsibility
- Insurance market reforms
- Health insurance exchanges
- Individual responsibility mandate
Health care providers and beneficiaries
- 120+ final rules listed by category, including full citation and short summary
- Each rule links back to the related Law and Explanation section
- More than 450 explanations cover implementation of every key area and illustrate real-life situations
- Expanded eligibility rules for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program
- Reimbursement changes for physicians and hospitals to focus on primary and preventive care
- Reimbursement changes for hospitals to increase coverage in rural areas
- Expansion of existing value-based purchasing and quality programs
You can access this treatise online if you’re a Health Reform KnowlEDGE Center subscriber. To order the two-volume print version, visit store.wolterskluwerlb.com or contact your Wolters Kluwer Account Representative at 800-638-8437.
Two new tools added to Health Reform KnowlEDGE™ Center
The Health Reform KnowlEDGE Center, the ideal solution for keeping pace with the ACA, now includes these two new tools:
- Use the Employer Mandate: Pay or Play Estimator to show the potential costs of benefits decisions
- Use the Medicaid Expansion State Compare Chart to quickly determine state Medicaid participation
The Health Reform KnowlEDGE Center is a single destination for breaking news, research and tools, including:
- WK-EDGE breaking news service, providing authoritative analysis with practical “how-to” perspectives from attorneys and key industry experts delivered via the dashboard, email, mobile apps and RSS
- Law and regulation tracking tool with date/task notification and calendar functionality
- Quick links to Smart Chart answer tools, editorial-driven checklists, in-depth analysis, expert-authored treatises, white papers, primary source documents and more
For more information and to request a free trial, visit www.healthreformknowledge.com or contact your Wolters Kluwer Account Representative. If you’re a current subscriber, click here to access the Health Reform KnowlEDGE Center.
AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, July 12-15, San Antonio
Be sure to stop by our Booth 603 to see what’s new at Wolters Kluwer Law & Business.
You’ll hear about new product offerings such as:
- WK Trademark Navigator™—A single solution for the multifaceted trademark prosecution practice
- Health Reform Knowledge Center™—Proprietary tools and trusted insights to handle health reform implementation
- WK Daily Reporting Suite—A daily reporting service, created by attorneys for attorneys, that provides same-day coverage of breaking news, court decisions, legislation, and regulatory activity
- RBsourceFilings—Preview a new way to do SEC filings research that brings together laws, SEC rules, filings and comment letters all in one resource
- IntelliConnect Direct for Tax—Designed to give faster, easier access to our world-class Wolters Kluwer CCH content using functionality from the award-winning CCH Mobile™ interface
- WK eReader—Delivers insightful information to your iPad that includes analytical content, authoritative commentary, treatises, and forms—plus direct linking to primary sources
- Cheetah—A re-imagined legal research experience
As always, we look forward to this time when we can greet our customers and learn how our products are serving their needs.
Zena Applebaum of Bennett Jones wins Wolters Kluwer Law & Business Innovations in Law Librarianship Award
The Wolters Kluwer Law & Business Innovations in Law Librarianship award is presented to a member of the Special Libraries Association Legal Division who demonstrates innovation and creativity in solving problems or improving resources, programs, services or operations for law library professionals and the clients they serve. Winners are nominated by SLA Legal Division members.
This year’s winner, Zena Applebaum of Bennett Jones LLP in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, was praised by SLA members for her expertise and leadership in the area of Competitive Intelligence. Within SLA she has become a resource for CI strategies and guidance.
At Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, we’re happy to provide an opportunity for recognizing the achievements of law librarians and the contributions they make to their firms.
Question: How would you compare and contrast the two classic and highly regarded treatises covering Delaware Corporation Law to incoming summer associates who may not have encountered them in law school?
- Delaware Law of Corporations and Business Organizations by R. Franklin Balotti and Jesse A. Finkelstein (link opens title within Corporation Law library on IntelliConnect Browse menu)
- Folk on Delaware General Corporation Law by Earnest L. Folk (late), Rodman Ward, Jr., Edward P. Welch, and Andrew J. Turezyn (link opens title within Corporation Law library on IntelliConnect Browse menu)
Answer: The table below provides a quick overview, and the following sample searches showcase each title’s strengths along with why these indispensable sources are especially effective when used in tandem.
Former President of the Delaware State Bar Association and former chairman of the Corporation Law Section
Former Reporter for the 1967 revision of the Delaware General Corporation Law, and described as “the nation’s leading academic expert on the Delaware General Corporation Law.”
More practice-oriented. Step-by-step approach to establishing organizations incorporated in Delaware. Includes practical strategies to resolve transactional and litigation issues.
More analytical; widely cited. Provides detailed analysis of statutory provisions. Includes guidance.
Three parts: Text (explanations by code section), Statutes, and Forms.
Four parts: Delaware law; LLC Act; Domestic and Statuary Trusts; Limited Partnerships.
CASES (include complimentary links to full-text)
Annotated throughout; Table of Cases included
Extensively annotated; many unreported; separate Tables of Cases for Delaware and non-Delaware jurisdictions
Sample searches for IntelliConnect subscribers
Instructions: Target both Balotti and Folk for the following searches. In search results, expand the “By Library” filter, choosing the “Corporation Law” library, and expanding results for each title to easily compare/contrast results.
- Find references to Revlon v. MacAndrews and discussions of the “Revlon Doctrine” regarding the sale of a company.
Balotti (34 results):
- See Chapter 6, §6.55, Delaware, The Sale of a Company for a thorough discussion including auction versus sale, the conduct of the auction, and the market check and go shop provisions.
- See Chapter 4, §4.20, Delaware, Enhanced Scrutiny in the Context of Changes in Control for its section on the duty to maximize stockholder value under Revlon.
Folk (20 results):
Retrieve a Certificate of Formation of an LLC and further information about what’s necessary to include in the form.
- See Part 1, Subchapter IV, §141.02, Delaware, Fiduciary Duty of Directors and the Business Judgment Rule for a broad overview of directors’ various duties and the development of the Revlon Rule including when its duties come into effect.
Search: “certificate of formation” w/10 LLC
Balotti (24 results):
Note: if you copy/paste the search expression from this text, delete and retype the
quotation marks surrounding “certificate of formation” to avoid syntax error message.
- Click + to left of title to expand results, click + to expand Forms, and select Forms - Limited Liability Companies to see Form 20.1,CERTIFICATE OF FORMATION OF ______ on right panel
For more information on these treatises or others, contact us for training!
Launch our LegalPro Training calendar webpage and register for any of our complimentary pre-scheduled instructor-led sessions offered for a wide variety of our online products, OR access a schedule for a specific product:
Kluwer services (including Kluwer IP Law, Kluwer Arbitration and Kluwer Competition Law)
*IntelliConnect and LoislawConnect registrations are limited to a single person so that each session can be customized to that individual’s subscription and research needs. However, registrants are welcome to share webinar connection details with others in their organization.
You may also send an email request for telephone training to LegalTraining@WoltersKluwer.com
Whether you want a brief, high-level overview for a group or an in-depth, hands-on training for an individual, our professional Trainers will customize the session to your needs to ensure that you get the most out of your online subscription from Wolters Kluwer Law & Business.
Training Resources for Legal Professionals website
Review our Training Resources for Legal Professionals website - http://wolterskluwerlb.com/training - to find helpful links to videos, training guides and quick reference material for a wide variety of our Platforms/Applications and products.
IntelliConnect and RBsource subscriptions
CHAT: http://support.cch.com/chat/techsupport (available 8 am to 6 pm CT Monday-Friday)
CALL: (available 8 am to 8 pm CT Monday-Friday)
Research & Functionality: 1-800-344-3734 option #1 (IntelliConnect) or option #3 (Other inquiries)
Technical Support: 1-800-835-0105 option #1 (IntelliForms) or option #2 (All other inquiries)
LoislawConnect and Kluwer Law International subscriptions
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org (available 3 am to 10 pm CT Monday-Friday)
CALL: 1-877-471-5632 (available 8 am to 8 pm CT Monday - Friday)
SECnet and IPO Vital Signs
CALL: 1-800-955-5219 (toll-free) or 1-202-842-7355 (toll)