|Volume 11, Number 6, June 2015
IntelliConnect widgets enhanced with new features and titles
IntelliConnect widgets give you quick and easy access to the content you need right from your firm’s portal—without logging in to IntelliConnect. Now IntelliConnect widgets have been enhanced with features that make them even more useful. The library of titles also continues to grow with the addition of more than 60 new titles.
New widget features
- Resizing: Customize widget size to a quarter of a webpage instead of half (500 x 500)
- Links to Smart Charts: Widgets now contain links to Smart Charts, providing direct access to Smart Charts from the widget
- Multi-title widget: Customize a single widget with multiple titles so you can search across titles
- Loislaw links: Loislaw links to underlying case law are now active within widgets
- Personal sign on to IntelliConnect: Sign on to your personal IntelliConnect account from the widget for quick access to your favorites and notes
- Tabbed widgets: Tabs are organized on multiple levels instead of horizontally, giving you easier access to each tabbed widget title
New widget titles
60+ new widget titles in litigation including the Almanac of the Federal Judiciary, antitrust, health care and elder law
If you haven’t starting using IntelliConnect widgets, click here for widget builder instructions. Click here for a list of available widgets.
WK Trademark Navigator launches new enhancements
The following WK Trademark Navigator enhancements are now available:
- Addition of Database of Federal Circuit Cases—This database contains all Federal Circuit trademark decisions dating back to 1966. The archive includes both published and non-published decisions in cases that were appealed from the International Trade Commission, United States District Courts, and from the TTAB. There are approximately 800 cases. You will be able to search cases by keyword(s), party, and case number.
- New Checklists—Checklists are now available for PTO filings, TTAB proceedings and litigation, and corporate transactional activities
- New Likelihood of Confusion by Circuit Comparison Chart—This tool allows you to (1) easily find the series of factors considered when determining confusion in each circuit and the Trademark Office, as the factors vary from circuit to circuit, and (2) compare the likelihood of confusion factors of all 11 circuit courts, federal circuit, and the Trademark Office. For each court, the chart provides a list of every factor considered, brief commentary on how the court weights the factors, and the case law from which the factors are derived. You can link from the chart directly to the full-text versions of the seminal cases and to expert treatise commentary on the application and weight of the factors.
To learn more about the WK Trademark Navigator, click here, call 1 800 449-6435, or contact your Wolters Kluwer Account Representative.
New edition: Motion Practice, 6th Edition
From early pretrial motions dealing with complaints and jurisdiction to appellate motion practice for both victor and vanquished, Motion Practice, Sixth Edition shows both what is permissible and advisable in aspects of motion practice such as:
- Formal requirements
- Strategic uses
- Use of supporting documents
- Effective advocacy
- Persuasive oral argument
- Ethical issues
Click here for more information and to order.
Kluwer International Tax Law is the online global information service for international tax professionals. It provides quick and easy access to the latest tax planning and compliance information. Our new service brings together selected CCH analysis, news and tools with Kluwer Law International’s major treatises such as Vogel on Double Taxation and Tax Planning for International Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Restructuring.
Written by international tax experts, this service comprises six packages, dealing with different areas of tax law. Available packages include:
- Tax Treaties
- Permanent Establishments
- Transfer Pricing
- Tax Planning
- Wealth Management
- Kluwer Tax Law Library (includes all the above packages)
For more information and to request a free trial, contact your Wolters Kluwer Account Representative or go to www.kluwertaxlaw.com
New book: International Company Taxation and Tax Planning
This unique title offers an in-depth description and analysis of tax systems worldwide. Combined with practical guidance on international planning approaches from a team of tax practitioners and academics, this title will enhance planning for optimal specific arrangements in each cross-border business operation.
In addition to frequent references to country-specific tax legislation—including laws and rules in all EU Member States plus the United States, as well as special provisions in Australia, Japan, and elsewhere—the book discusses important ECJ decisions and many other case studies. Click here for more information and to order.
New book: Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Brazil
How does Brazilian law and its Judiciary deal with requests for the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards?
This book has the answer. It is the first to provide practical guidance on the main steps and formal requirements for the recognition of foreign arbitral awards before Brazil’s Superior Court of Justice. The author includes a systematic compilation of all decisions issued by the Court on the recognition of foreign arbitral awards up to April 2015. Click here for more information and to order.
New product: PracticeTrack helps law students become "practice ready"
By addressing a gap in learning that has been increasingly identified by law firms, PracticeTrack equips law students with the essential skill sets needed to be “practice ready” when they enter the workplace.
PracticeTrack launches with two courses: Legal Research & Writing and Business & Financial Skills. Each course contains dozens of modules on key topics of immediate applicability in real-world law environments. Modules consist of topic-based video lectures, detailed written explanations of the topics, PowerPoint slides that review material covered in the videos, plus written materials. Quizzes follow each topic for practice and self-assessment. Additional modules in Contract Drafting, Intellectual Property, and other course areas will follow in the coming year.
All modules are developed by subject matter experts—law school professors and attorneys who have helped prepare graduates for the transition into law firms. These include Robert Rhee from the University of Florida Levin College of Law (Business & Financial Skills) and Deborah Bouchoux of Georgetown University (Legal Research & Writing).
Michael Gregory, Wolters Kluwer Director of New Markets for Legal Education, explains how Wolters Kluwer is taking the lead in delivering a smart solution to a pressing need. “PracticeTrack focuses on training new associates for work they will be exposed to in law firms,” Michael says. “It addresses a growing concern that the law school experience does not prepare students with all the skills needed in practice. Their education is very heavily dominated by theory and policy, but not real life experience. PracticeTrack moves the student away from theory and into the realities of expectations in the law firm environment.”
Learn more at www.WKPracticeTrack.com
AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, July 18-21, Philadelphia
We always look forward to this time when we can greet our customers and learn how our products are serving their needs.
Be sure to stop by our Booth 603 to see what’s new at Wolters Kluwer:
- Cheetah—Designed in partnership with our customers, Cheetah is an intuitive way to access the world-class content for which Wolters Kluwer is known
- Health Reform KnowlEDGE Center—Proprietary tools and trusted insights to handle health reform implementation
- RBsource and RBsourceFilings—Solutions for securities filings research
- WK Daily Reporting Suite—A daily reporting service that provides same-day coverage of breaking news, court decisions, legislation, and regulatory activity
- WK Browser Search—A complimentary, installable browser extension that integrates browser search queries with subscribed content from Wolters Kluwer
- WK Solutions for Academic Law Libraries—Students become practice ready with tools and content that help move them beyond theory and into practice
- WK Trademark Navigator—A single solution for the multifaceted trademark prosecution practice
Review a new product concept
If you’ll be attending AALL, we would greatly appreciate 15 minutes of your time to meet with members of our product team and review a new product concept now on the drawing board. We’ll share more details when we meet, but a key objective of the product is to detail the steps necessary to complete a series of legal tasks along with the trusted authoritative content for each step.
If you would like to review our new product concept and share your thoughts, please email Chelise Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to meet during AALL. To thank you for your feedback, we’ll offer a gift card as a small token of appreciation, along with our hearty thanks.
Question: Is there a quick way to track how many states have introduced or passed legislation regarding Public Benefit Corporations (PBCs)?
Answer: Our Smart Charts from both Corporation Service and Corporate Governance Guide State Law Summaries now include a column indicating whether a state has introduced legislation regarding PBCs. For the states that have passed such legislation, the Smart Chart provides a link directly to the state statute.
What are Public Benefit Corporations? Folk on the Delaware General Corporation Law defines PBCs in Section 362:
A "public benefit corporation" is a for-profit corporation organized under and subject to the requirements of this chapter that is intended to produce a public benefit or public benefits and to operate in a responsible and sustainable manner. To that end, a public benefit corporation shall be managed in a manner that balances the stockholders' pecuniary interests, the best interests of those materially affected by the corporation's conduct, and the public benefit or public benefits identified in its certificate of incorporation.
See the sample Smart Charts, below:
From Corporation Service Smart Charts
From Corporate Governance Guide State Law Summaries
Don’t forget that you can also save your Smart Chart to a Research Folder on IntelliConnect and share the results with your colleagues.
For how-to’s on these and any other questions, feel free to contact your Wolters Kluwer Legal Training Consultant and see how you can save time using tips like these!
Attend a complimentary instructor-led training. Click here to view a listing of upcoming Custom Learning Webinar sessions.
Each session is limited to a single registrant but any number of attendees from your organization can join the session. The instructor will tailor the course to your subscription content, research needs and time frame. (A maximum of one hour is allotted.) During the session, participant(s) will be encouraged to log in for hands-on activities.
You can also email a training request to us via LegalProTraining@wolterskluwer.com
CALL: 1-800-955-5217 (available 8 am to 6 pm CT Monday-Friday)
IntelliConnect and RBsource/RBsourceFilings subscriptions
CHAT: http://support.cch.com/chat/techsupport (available 8 am to 6 pm CT Monday-Friday)
CALL: (available 8 am to 8 pm CT Monday-Friday)
Research & Functionality: 1-800-344-3734 option #1 (IntelliConnect) or option #3 (Other inquiries)
Technical Support: 1-800-835-0105 option #1 (IntelliForms) or option #2 (All other inquiries)
LoislawConnect and Kluwer Law International subscriptions
EMAIL: email@example.com (available 3 am to 10 pm CT Monday-Friday)
CALL: 1-877-471-5632 (available 8 am to 8 pm CT Monday - Friday)
SECnet and IPO Vital Signs
CALL: 1-800-955-5219 (toll-free) or 1-202-842-7355 (toll)